Monday, April 11, 2011

Gluten-free Chicken Nuggets

I found this recipe in Jessica Seinfeld's cookbook, Deceptively Delicious, and you know what that means folks--you will get broccoli in your children! I made some changes to make it safe for William, and my kids go ballistic over them. I just need a nice recipe for homemade ketchup, now. :)

Broccoli Chicken Nuggets

1 package boneless, skinless chicken breast, chopped into 1-inch cubes
1 bunch broccoli
1 egg
water
1 c gluten-free flour of choice
1/2 c flax seed meal
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. garlic powder (I've found that McCormick's spices are generally safe)
olive oil for pan

1.  Chop broccoli coarsely, add to boiling water, turn down heat to med-high. Cook 10-12 minutes. Remove before broccoli starts to lose its color. Drain, reserve some water.


2. Put broccoli in food processor and puree about 2 minutes, adding water from broccoli (or use fresh, but the broccoli water has all the nutrients in it lost from boiling) as necessary to achieve desired consistency. Set aside, let cool.

3. Combine dry ingredients in large bowl.

4. Lightly beat egg in a separate mixing bowl and add broccoli puree.

5. Dredge chicken through egg/broccoli mixture, then through flour mixture. Heat oil over medium heat.

6. Cook chicken nuggets until browned on outside and no longer pink on inside, about 10 minutes, turning nuggets once or twice.


The whole thing, start to finish, takes about 40 minutes, and less if your puree is made ahead of time. Jessica Seinfeld will tell you she makes all her purees at the beginning of the week, puts them in ziploc bags, dates them, and freezes or refrigerates them, and they're ready to go. One of William's therapists even told me once to use baby food for this, if you're in a pinch. Good ideas, guys!

And thus concludes the recipe section of today's entry.

Question of the day: anybody have any great methods for knocking potential ear infections on their butts? I've got him on a great multivitamin and he likes garlicky foods, and I even give him oil of oregano when I think he's fighting something, but he's messing with something right now I can't seem to shake. He's not in ear infection territory yet, but I think he might be in a few days. I don't want to do another antibiotic! I'd love to hear suggestions.

1 comment: